This is probably too simple to blog about, but I’m going to do it anyway.
I gave a workshop last Sunday that required the transport of a good chunk of my studio in the trunk of my car. While the studio was partially empty, I thought I would take advantage of the cleared tables to do some cleaning & dusting.
While I was dusting, I realized that my serger thread, while gorgeous to have on display, gets pretty dusty. So I decided to make some simple covers for them to keep them clean.
I had some batik yardage that I wasn’t using, so I cut them to 18″ x 34″, and serged around the edges. If you don’t have a serger, you could turn a hem under and stitch it that way. I had thought about doing a more sophisticated design, but the point of these covers was really to have protection and quick access. They drape completely over the serger cone stands, and when I need thread, I just lift the cover and grab what I need.
Maybe clear vinyl would be even better, but hey – I was working with what I could easily find, and since I have more fabric than vinyl, this seemed to be a good choice. If I ever tire of them, the fabric pieces are large enough to use for something else.